The American Legion Online Updates & Discussions Headline Animator

The American Legion Legacy Run

Indianapolis - Louisville
August 18-23, 2009

Riding for the children of fallen heroes.

An online gathering of American Legion Riders and others interested in the annual American Legion Legacy Run. Click on the "Post a Comment" link following the articles below and join in the discussion!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Posted from "Doc" Shaw in Afghanistan.

Hi Bill,

I am sorry I was unable to make the Legacy Run for the 3rd year in a row but I am here in Kabul, Afghanistan on what I think is a higher mission. Be it known that I am there in spirit and via reading the blog. I have attached a letter that I would like read to the riders as they come to the great Commonwealth of Virginia. I would truly appreciate it if someone could read it to them.

Thanks,

H. David "Doc" Shaw


Central Post Office Bx 458
Durulaman Road
Kabul, Afghanistan
hdavidshaw@gmail.com




Tuesday, August 18, 2009




Dear Legacy Run Riders,

Greetings from Kabul, Afghanistan where I am currently serving not on a military mission but armed instead with books and knowledge as we educate the hearts and minds of the young Afghans leaders who will lead this country into future. It saddens me that after participating with you all for two years that I am not with you again and cannot, in person, welcome you to my home state, the great Commonwealth of Virginia. Let it be known, however, that my heart and my mind are with you throughout this great mission that you are undertaking. I know it will be another overwhelming success.

I know many of you would like to know of the success of Operation Enduring Freedom here in Afghanistan. The one thing that I learned while living in the D.C. metro area and now even more living here in Afghanistan is that you cannot trust everything you hear, read, or see in the media. To paraphrase Mark Twain, “the news of the demise of Afghanistan is great exaggerated.” I often read the western news and shake my head in wonder as they report mostly negative things about the mission here. I am here, and trust me when I tell you that the U.S. and its International partners are winning the war on terror in Afghanistan and that the Afghan people truly appreciate all that is being done for them. They look back at the dark days of the Soviet invasion and then civil war and their days under the Taliban rule and they truly know what was and could be without the support of the U.S. and the international communities and not a day goes by when we are not thanked for what we are doing for them. I know I am speaking to the choir here as you all support our troops with an undying passion. Please continue to do so and to support the non military mission here as well.

As someone who has done it, I know you all will cherish your ride in the Legacy Run 2009. My memories of the past two years are permanently indelled in my mind. Most memorable, however, is that moment in which we were told that we had exceeded our goals in raising funds for the children of our fallen troops. I know once again you all will be successful in that effort. Have a great ride, a safe ride, and keep the shiny side up.

Sincerely,



H. David “Doc” Shaw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for a first hand perspective,,,,, glad to know it isn't another viet nam... especially when i have a son in the military ..... i, like many others, say "thank you for serving,,, and god bless"